Friday, July 24, 2015

Rear Interior Tear Down - Discovery of an Abandoned Nest

Yesterday evening, I had about an hour to get started on the tear down of my Sunny. I began with the rear interior of the vehicle. I had some problems here and there - stripped screws and pinching my fingertip in some needle-nose pliers. Nothing too remarkable, until I removed the lower portion of the back seat.

I found what appeared to be an old nest of some form of rodent. On one side of the ridge, there was a collection of empty shells and seeds. On the other side, there was a ball of insulation, old newspaper trimmings, and general fluff. As I was vacuuming the car out, I detected a faint smell of urine. Once the vacuuming was complete, the urine odor had filled the entire cabin. I disinfected the area as the sun was setting; the cleaning may not have been as thorough as I hoped. I will have to clean it again this evening.


I also found rust holes in the floorboard when I peeled back the front passenger carpet. There will be patching in my future. My intent is to strip the inside, fix the rust, primer, and then use a bed liner product to seal the interior and provide a bit of sound deadening.

No comments:

Post a Comment